Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange
New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA)
Joint Externship Exchange Program
(Applications Now Open for Fall 2021)
What is an Externship?
Externships are opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their field. Externships through this partner program are provided by the Rutgers Masters of Business and Science (MBS) Externship Exchange Program and the NJBDA via a grant from the US Economic Development Administration (US-EDA). Upon successful completion students are eligible for a $2,000 fellowship.
How is an Externship different from an Internship?
- Externships are semester-long experiential learning opportunities and are completed virtually
- Students are engaged 8-10 hours per week remotely; 3 students will be assigned to each project
- The Organization defines the scope of work to be performed by the student team
- Students are vetted and selected to participate in the program
- Each project has a Rutgers MBS Faculty Advisor and a Mentor from the organization assigned to the team
- Student’s home institution advisor(s), and NJBDA faculty/staff are invited to attend a final presentation
- OPT/CPT Visa limitations DO NOT apply since this is a remote, off-campus project
Note: The Fall 2021 organization partner will be located in New Brunswick, New Jersey
What are requirements to participate?
- Students must be attending an NJBDA member college/university (www.njbda.org)
- Students must be in their junior or senior year of their undergraduate studies & have a GPA of 3.0 +
- Students must have a Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science or related major
- Classes in/experience with economic development and Spanish speaking/writing is a plus
- Students must submit an application and required items via the NJBDA website by 11:59 pm August 1; students will be asked about related courses, GPA, personal statement indicating why they are interested in participating in the program, relevant skills (Python, R, etc.); and their availability for weekly meetings. Selected students must be available beginning the week of Sept. 6 and have availability Tuesday evenings from 5:00pm – 6:30pm for weekly Externship labs on professional development topics.
- Selected Students must be available to begin completing short assignments the week of September 1 (first Externship lab will be on Sept. 7)
- Midpoint review of student team – week of October 18 (approximate)
- Final review of student team – week of December 6 (approximate)
Note: Each student is required to dedicate a minimum of 8 to 10 hours (this includes Externship Lab) of work per week to the project during the program period
When will I be notified if I have been selected for the Externship?
- You will be notified if selected for an interview by mid-August; Interviews will take place the week of August 23; all candidates receiving interviews will be informed if they have been selected or not.
- For more information, contact Dr. Christine Nelson, Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange Director, email@example.com.