Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange
New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA)
Joint Externship Exchange Program
(Applications Now Open for Fall 2022)
What is an Externship?
Externships are opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their field. Externships through this partner program are provided by the Rutgers Masters of Business and Science (MBS) Externship Exchange Program and the NJBDA via a grant from the US Economic Development Administration (US-EDA). Upon successful completion students are eligible for a $2,000 fellowship.
How is an Externship different from an Internship?
- Externships are semester-long experiential learning opportunities and are completed virtually
- Students are engaged 8-10 hours per week remotely; 5 students will be assigned to each project
- The company / organization defines the scope of work to be performed by the student team
- Students are vetted and selected to participate in the program
- Each project has a Rutgers MBS Faculty Advisor and a Mentor from the organization assigned to the team
- Student’s home institution advisor(s), and NJBDA faculty/staff are invited to attend a final presentation
- OPT/CPT Visa limitations DO NOT apply since this is a remote, off-campus project
Note: The Fall 2022 organization partner will be located in New Brunswick, New Jersey
What are the requirements to participate?
- Students must be attending an NJBDA member college/university (See members at njbda.org)
- Students must be in their junior or senior year of their undergraduate studies & have a GPA of 3.0 +
- Students must have a Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science or related major; experience with Python, R, SQL and/or other data analysis tools is a plus
- Students must be available on Tuesday evenings from 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm to attend weekly required VIRTUAL Externship Labs on professional development topics (Labs begin on Sept. 6)
- Students must submit an application and required items via the NJBDA website by 11:59 pm August 7; students will be asked about related courses, GPA, relevant skills (Python, R, etc.); and their availability for weekly team meetings. Students should also provide a personal statement indicating why they are interested in participating in the Externship.
- Selected students must be available for Externship project work beginning the week of September 5
- Selected Students must be available to begin the Externship the week of September 5
- Midpoint review of student team – week of October 24 (approximate)
- Final student team presentation to company – week of December 5 (approximate)
Note: Each student is required to dedicate a minimum of 8 to 10 hours of work per week to the project during the program period (Externship Labs and team meetings are included in this total).
When will I be notified if I have been selected for the Externship?
- Interviews will take place the week of August 22; all candidates receiving interviews will be informed if they have been selected or not by August 30
Interested? Apply here
- For more information, contact Dr. Christine Nelson, Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange Director, email@example.com.
Download PDF of flyer: MBS-NJBDA Externship General Information for Students Fall 2022