(Applications for Spring 2023 now closed)
Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange
New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA)
Joint Externship Exchange Program
What is an Externship?
Externships are opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their field. Externships through this partner program are provided by the Rutgers Masters of Business and Science (MBS) Externship Exchange Program and the NJBDA via a grant from the US Economic Development Administration (US-EDA). Upon successful completion students are eligible for a $2,000 fellowship.
How is an Externship different from an Internship?
- Externships are semester-long experiential learning opportunities and are completed virtually
- The company / organization defines the scope of work to be performed by the student team
- Students are vetted and selected to participate in the program
- Students are engaged 8-10 hours per week remotely; 5 students will be assigned to each project
- Each project has a Rutgers MBS Faculty Advisor and a company Mentor assigned to the team
- Student’s home institution advisor(s), and NJBDA faculty/staff are invited to attend a final presentation
- OPT/CPT Visa limitations DO NOT apply since this is a remote, off-campus project
Note: The company partner will be located in Newark, New Jersey
What are the requirements to participate?
- Students must be attending an NJBDA member college/university (See members at njbda.org)
- Students must be in their junior or senior year of their undergraduate studies & have a GPA of 3.0 +
- Students must have a Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science or related major; experience with data analytic software tools are recommended
- Students must submit an application and required items via the NJBDA website by 11:59 pm December 12, 2022. Students will be asked about related courses, GPA, a personal statement indicating why they are interested in the Externship, relevant skills (Python, R, etc.); and their availability for weekly meetings.
- Interviews will be held the week of January 9 and selected Students must be available to begin virtual team meetings the week of January 23 and attend virtual weekly Externship Labs on professional development topics held on Tuesdays from 5:10 pm – 6:40 pm beginning January 24
When will I be notified if I have been selected for the Externship?
- Interviews will take place in early January; all candidates receiving interviews will be informed if they have been selected or not by January 20
- For more information, contact Dr. Christine Nelson, Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange Director, email@example.com.
Download PDF of flyer: 2023 MBS Externship flyer