Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange
New Jersey Big Data Alliance (NJBDA)
Joint Externship Exchange Program
Accepting Applications Now for Fall 2020
What is an Externship?
Externships are opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their field. Externships through this partner program are provided by the Rutgers Masters of Business and Science (MBS) Externship Exchange Program and the NJBDA via a grant from the US Economic Development Administration (US-EDA). Upon successful completion students are eligible for a $2,000 fellowship.
How is an Externship different from an Internship?
- Externships are semester-long experiential learning opportunities and are completed virtually
- Students are engaged 8-10 hours per week remotely; 3 students will be assigned to each project
- The Company defines the scope of work to be performed by the student team
- Students are vetted and selected to participate in the program
- Each project has a Rutgers MBS Faculty Advisor and a company Mentor assigned to the team
- Student’s home institution advisor(s), and NJBDA faculty/staff are invited to attend a final presentation
- OPT/CPT Visa limitations DO NOT apply since this is a remote, off-campus project
Note: The company partner will be located in New Brunswick, Newark, or Cumberland County
What are requirements to participate?
- Students must be attending an NJBDA member college/university (www.njbda.org)
- Students must be in their junior or senior year of their undergraduate studies & have a GPA of 3.0 +
- In order to be eligible for the fellowship portion, students must not be in their final semester.
- Students must have a Data Science, Business Analytics, Computer Science or related major
- Students must submit an application and required items via the NJBDA website by 5:00 pm August 10; students will be asked about related courses, GPA, personal statement indicating why they are interested in participating in the program, relevant skills (Python, R, etc.); and their availability
- Selected Students must be available to begin the week of Sept 21 (internal kick-off)
- External kickoff (with Company mentor) – week of Sept 28
- Midpoint review of student team – week of November 2
- Final review of student team – week of December 14
Note: Each student is required to dedicate a minimum of 8 to 10 hours of work per week to the project during the program period
When will I be notified if I have been selected for the Externship?
- You will be notified by the end of August if you are selected for an interview; final Externship candidates will be informed the week of September 17.
- For more information, contact Dr. Christine Nelson, Rutgers MBS Externship Exchange Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.